Friday, October 5, 2012

Smells Like Team Spirit

I know, I couldn't resist (I still love Nirvana); and yes, I am a dork, LOL.


A couple of weeks ago, my town's high school had it's homecoming. The football game was against a pretty tough team. In fact, the last time we won against them was 2003. The game was awesome, and if I say it was good, you know it was (I have minimal knowledge when it comes to football). While sitting in the stands, I came up with the idea to make a wreath celebrating the team's victory. I decided on a cupcake liner wreath because I think it kind of resembles a pom pon.

I've read pretty much all of Tatortots and Jello's posts and I knew she had made a tutorial, so I headed over to her blog. Sure enough, I found it.

Tutorial Link
To make just the wreath, I used a styrofoam wreath form, hot glue, and about 125 cupcake liners.


I started by wrapping the form with red crepe paper streamers to hide the yellow.


Then I added a polka dot ribbon.


I won't cover all the steps; you can find them over at Tatortots and Jello's (just follow the links above). Here is mine before I embellished it.


For the center, I printed out the team's logo and enlarged it to the size I needed. Then I measured out a line to use to cut out a piece of foam core.

Next, I duplicated the same cutout but with cardstock. The foam core had some rough edges and wasn't as white as I wanted. I used double sided tape to put the two together.


Being that it's October and Halloween is coming up, I couldn't find black glitter any where. Instead, I bought a pack of glitter covered foam sheets that included a black sheet. I layered the team logo on top of the glitter foam and used a craft knife to cut out the shape and some of the details. I couldn't get all the small parts of the logo because some were just too small.


I don't know what happened to the rest of the pictures about this part, but I used a paint pen to outline the E and P and I glued red glitter to the E.
My fiance had the idea to put my son's number on the wreath, so I cut it out of the glitter sheet, too, and used a piece of white card stock for a background. I outlined the numbers with a black Sharpie.


The glitter sheet has an adhesive back, so I peeled off the paper and stuck it down on the cardstock backgrounds.
To hang the logo in the center of the wreath, I hot glued string to the back, wrapped the string around the wreath (hidden under the cupcake liners), and hot glued the ends down.


I put a mini cupcake liner behind the numbers and hot glued loops of a thin polka dot ribbon on the back and then adhered it to the lower right of the wreath.

The red cupcake liners came in packs with yellow and blue; the blue gave me the idea to make a Chicago Bears wreath. Our extended family gets together every game to watch it and hang out together.


I am really pleased with how both wreaths came out! Have you ever made a wreath with cupcake liners? There are several examples on Pinterest. If you've made one, I'd love to see it.

P.S. I am linking up with these lovely ladies...





















13 comments:

  1. oh my goodness

    how cute and easy
    is this to do?

    love it

    thanks for stopping by
    Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! What a great way to personalize the wreath for your son--and to make a Chicago Bears one to share with your family is a great touch, too. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Richella!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that I found you on TT&J! What a clever idea! Thanks so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shannon! The cupcake liners do resemble a pom pom -- such a super cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment, Becky!

      Delete
  5. So cute! Thanks for joining me at HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry, and THANK YOU for hosting!

      Shannon
      http://fixingforfriday.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. You should make a bunch and try to sell these in Erie!! I bet A LOT of people would want them right now with how well the team is doing. Maybe post this on the Erie swap? Very Cute Idea!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have given me something to think about, Leslie, that's for sure. I'm glad you like the project!

      Delete
  7. These cupcake liner wreaths are so cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete